Vitesse Media Plc (“we”, “us” or “Vitesse Media”) is registered to collect and process personal data under the Data Protection Act 1998 (“Act”). Vitesse Media Plc is the data controller of personal information collected by us for the purposes of the Act. We respect and safeguard the privacy of the users of Vitesse Media Plc’s portfolio of websites and associated companies and microsites (“website”), and readers of our magazines which include Information Age Magazine and What Investment Magazine (“ Magazines”).
1. What information do we gather?
1.1 We gather information that relates to, and can identify you (e.g. your name and address) and information that does not identify you (e.g. a visitor’s behaviour patterns when they visit our website).
We collect information that does not identify you to in order to evaluate our site performance/usability, ensure that our site and services run properly and ensure we are paid for advertising services we offer.
We might also collect IP addresses through the placement of cookies which means your numerical address is automatically collected when you access the website and is placed in our Internet access logs.
2. How do we gather Information?
2.1 Information is gathered in 2 ways:
(1) indirectly (for example, through our website’s technology or use of an App); and
(2) directly (for example, when you provide information on various pages of the website or when you return any completed coupon published in the Magazines).
2.3 When we collect your information in this way, we will notify you as to how this information will be used and where it will be processed. We will also provide you with the opportunity to indicate your preferences as to the use of your information.
3. Cookies and how we use them
3.2 We use the following types of cookie:
(1) strictly necessary cookies enable services you have specifically asked for. We use these cookies for purposes such as allowing you to access secure areas of the website.
(2) Analytics / performance cookies collect anonymous information on the pages visited. They do not collect information that identifies you as a visitor to our website. We only use this information to improve how our website works and not to target you with advertising. We may use these cookies to assess the effectiveness of pay-per-click affiliate advertising, but we do not use them to pass your personal information to advertisers or to target you for advertising.
(3) Functionality / Service cookies remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region you are in) to provide enhanced, more personal features. We use these cookies to remember changes you have made to text size and other parts of web pages you can customise.
(4) Targeting cookies or advertising cookies are used to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests. We do not use these cookies on our websites.
You can delete cookies previously sent by us from your computer and set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether to accept it. Information on how to do this can be accessed via the help function on your browser.
Please note that if you change your privacy settings to reject cookies we may not be able to provide you with subscription services that have a log-in procedure. To find out more about cookies click here.
3.3 We have no access to third party cookies and third party organisations have no access to ours. Other than allowing the third party cookies to be served we have no part to play in the use of these cookies although we may obtain statistical information from them about advertising on our site. The third party organisations that place cookies have their own strict privacy policies.
3.4 Most browsers allow you to turn off cookies (see below in section 6). However, switching off cookies may restrict your use of the website and/or delay or affect the way in which the website operates.
4. How do you decide how you want to hear from us?
4.1 We always explain why and how we might contact you at the point you give your information to us. We also provide the means for you to grant or withhold your permission for us to contact you. We do this by using opt out or opt-in tick boxes. If the boxes aren’t there, it’s because we will not use your information for any other purpose than that for which you give it (e.g. to administer a subscription).
4.2 When responding to promotions, offers etc. by postcard or coupon, if you do not wish for your details to be used by us to send you promotions and offers, please make this clear by stating “No Offers”.
4.3 You may modify your preferences or get further information by:
- writing to us at: Data Department, Vitesse Media Plc, 14 Bonhill Street, Shoreditch, EC2A 4BX, or
- manage your preferences through Vitesse Media Plc’s preference centre at preferences.vitessemedia.co.uk
- email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alternatively, you can unsubscribe at anytime from selected or all email communications
5. How we use your information
5.1 We might use your information to:
(1) remember you when you visit our website and track your browsing patterns by using cookies. You can prevent this; section 6 deals with this in more detail;
(2) place your anonymised information into audience segments to identify your interests so that we might serve you with advertisements and offers that will interest you;
(3) ensure any products or services you receive are correctly administered (including subscriptions);
(4) contact you by email, mail, telephone or sms text message to let you know about any of our products, services or promotions (which, in some cases may be provided by third parties) but only according to the permissions you give us;
(5) ensure materials on the website or in apps are presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer or mobile device;
(6) collate and log numeric internet addresses to improve the website and to monitor website usage;
(7) assess and understand customer feedback and identify usage hotspots.
5.2 If you have subscribed to any of our services, we will use the information you provide to keep you updated on those services unless you have told us otherwise.
6. Managing Cookie Preferences
6.1 Most browsers allow you to turn off cookies. To do this look at the “help” menu on your browser. Switching off cookies may restrict your use of the website and/or delay or affect the way in which it operates.
6.2 If you would prefer to just restrict third party cookies, visit youronlinechoices.com or click on the AdChoices logo that you will see in the corner of advertisements that carry behavioural targeting cookies.
7.1 The password you provide when registering with the website is encrypted to ensure protection against unauthorised access of your personal information.
7.2 We invest in high-quality security and do our utmost to protect user privacy. No data transmission over the Internet can be entirely secure, and therefore we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information and/or use of the website. Any information that you send is at your own risk and may be read by others. However once we have received your personal information we use strict procedures both ourselves and with our suppliers to protect the security of your personal information.
8. Disclosing your information
8.1 We may disclose your personal information if required to do i) in order to fulfil any request you have made through us (e.g. ordering goods to be supplied by a third party on our behalf), ii) by law or iii) in good-faith believing such action is necessary to comply with the law or contract e.g. for a bank or card company to process your payment for purchase of goods.
8.2 We will not sell or otherwise share your personal information with third parties without your consent except in the case of our data service providers (who are used for example to manage your subscription).
9. Accessing and Updating your personal information
We want to ensure that we provide you with the best possible service. Please therefore always keep us updated of any changes to your personal information, for example, if your email address changes.
9.1 How do I change my personal details?
You can update your details and marketing preferences by accessing your account pages on the website, by emailing email@example.com or by writing to us at: Data Department, Vitesse Media plc, 14 Bonhill st, EC2A 4BX
9.2 What information do you hold on me?
You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you. To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be an administrative charge of £10 for providing a copy of this information.
10. What does providing us with personal information mean?
This Policy was updated on 25th May 2016.